How do you preach about sex?
You could do what one pastor did & issue a 30 day sex challenge!
If you’re a pastor, I think you should preach about sex & sexual integrity in your pulpit. People struggle with their sexuality & follow Christ in a sex saturated society so they need wise teaching in how to follow Christ in our culture.
So here’s a few tips for pastors addressing this important topic.
1. Check with your spouse first before you share any personal details. Never embarrass your spouse by sharing intimate details that they makes them uncomfortable.
2. Congregations get nervous when you talk about sex so help yourself relax by being very well prepared. Never try to ‘wing it’ with such an important topic.
3. Don’t berate people over sexuality. People have enough guilt already, so give them insight & solutions that will equip them.
4. Listen to how other pastors preach about sex. The plethora of podcasts of top shelf preachers makes this very doable.
5. Preferably get an older pastor to coach you on how to minister on this topic. Let them go over your message before you deliver it.
6. Be honest, but not too honest. Sunday morning is not the place for intimate details, so be subtle & save the intimacy for the appropriate setting. Also if you have a sexuality problem, get wise advice before airing it publicly.
7. Never be smutty. There’s enough smut elsewhere, keep it clean
8. But be funny! Allow yourself & your crowd to laugh
9. Read the ‘no holds barred’ sexuality scriptures. Some people are amazed the bible can be so frank
People enjoy authentic, helpful messages on sex. Pastor, give them!
For other tips on preaching go to my how to preach series.
Or check out my ‘read-it -in-one-hour’ book Preaching in a Whatever World.